The Cathedral Church of St Mary of the Assumption, usually known as St Mary’s Cathedral, is Aberdeen’s Roman Catholic Cathedral.
“The Cathedral Church is the main place of worship in the Catholic Diocese of Aberdeen. It was opened in December 1860 as the principal Catholic Church in the west end of the city, replacing St. Peter’s Church in the Castlegate, when there were about 1,000 Catholics out of a population of 74,000 and the number of Catholics was increasing. It became the Cathedral (the church of the Bishop’s Chair ) when the post-reformation diocese was set up in 1878.
The architect of the church was Alexander Ellis, a local man. The spire, added with the bells in 1876-1877, was designed by R.G. Wilson. The church was rededicated in I960, the centenary of its opening, after the interior had been extensively simplified, anticipating by some years the liturgical reforms of the Second Vatican Council between 1962 and 1965.“Cathedral website