St Machar’s Cathedral (which, before the Reformation, was the Cathedral Church of St Machar) is a Church of Scotland church in Aberdeen. It is located to the north of the city centre in Old Aberdeen near Aberdeen University. St Machar’s is no longer a cathedral but rather a high kirk, as it has not been the seat of a bishop since 1690.
“St Machar’s Cathedral stands dramatically on a high bank above the River Don within the Old Aberdeen conservation area.
On a site of Christian witness for 1,500 years, the granite pile of the fifteenth century cathedral with its massive twin spires, world-famous heraldic ceiling and glorious stained glass is one of Scotland’s ‘must see’ treasures. It is surrounded by a graveyard which contains tombs that date back to the fifteenth century.
The oldest building in active use in Aberdeen, it is of international artistic and architectural importance, and it is of huge significance for the history of Scotland.
With its superb acoustic, the cathedral is a popular venue for musical performances.
It is open 365 days a year for formal worship and for those seeking a place of quiet contemplation, as well as for visitors.”VisitAberdeenshire