The Kirk of St Nicholas is a historic church located in the city centre of Aberdeen, Scotland. It is now officially known as the “Kirk of St Nicholas Uniting” as it has membership of both of the Church of Scotland and the United Reformed Church. It is also known as “The Mither Kirk” (mother church) of the city.
“The Kirk of Saint Nicholas has been at the heart of Aberdeen, providing spiritual worship and refuge, since its ancient establishment in the 12th century. It is both a holy building and one that chronicles the history of the city and her inhabitants.
The present West Kirk dates from 1755, with various refurbishments and additions since then. In 1989 the north transept was adapted to house St John’s Chapel, dedicated to the North Sea Oil industry, featuring magnificent contemporary woodwork by Tim Stead and Shona McInnes’ stained glass window.
The Kirk of Saint Nicholas Uniting, as it is known today, was founded in September 2002 as a Local Ecumenical Partnership of the Kirk of St Nicholas (Church of Scotland) and St Nicholas United Reformed Church.”VisitAberdeenshire