Drum Castle lies 11 miles to the west of Aberdeen along Royal Deeside. The original castle was granted to William de Irwyn by King Robert the Bruce in 1323. The castle remained within the Irvine family until 1975, when it was handed over to the National Trust of Scotland. Irvine memorabilia can be seen in the Family Room and the house contains a collection of portraits and Georgian furniture.
The castle is surrounded by hills and woodland with nature trails and guided walks.